- This event has passed.
Mushroom Growing Workshop – Outdoor Gourmets. A One-Day Intensive Workshop
May 31, 2015$250
“Future proofing with Fungi” – With Will Borowski – as seen on River Cottage Australia
For lovers of fungi those that want to grow their own, become more self-reliant and sustainable.
Fungi are amazing, an important source of protein, food and nutrition. Not only are they super delicious and amazing to grow, they are great for your garden, soil nutrition and the health of the planet. Fungi are one of nature’s decomposers and regenerators, they are all important for your permaculture systems, your soils and helping you to become more self-reliant and sustainable. They can remove pollutants in water and soils, share nutrients between trees and regenerate landscapes. A kingdom of their own, this species provides us with many underground secrets to a better garden. This workshop will demystify the fungi kingdom for students, unveiling the world of myco-cultivation. In other words, you will leave not only understanding, but growing your own delicious mushrooms at home.
Growing mushrooms naturally, will:
- Provide you with an important and delicious food source and protein.
- Save you money and shopping at supermarkets
- Repair and regenerate your soils and your system
- Help you become self reliant and sustainable
- Integrate naturally into your food forests, woodlots and permaculture systems.
About the Workshop
Join Will Borowski from Forest Fungi for this full day of hands-on learning where he will demystify the process of how you can grow your own edible, gourmet mushrooms. You’ll walk away with the skills, confidence and knowledge of how to cultivate and grow delicious organic oyster, shiitake, enoki, shimeji (and more) in your own home, plus a whole new network of fellow fungi enthusiasts!
The workshop has been specially developed for aspiring gourmet mushroom growers to learn how to grow mushrooms at home. It will:
- Take you through the basics of mushroom propagation which can be adapted to many other mushroom varieties, meaning you’ll be able to grow many wood loving mushrooms your taste buds desire.
- Teach you how to: cultivate gourmet mushrooms, make a still air box for mushroom cultivation, clone mushrooms onto agar; make grain spawn; make sawdust spawn; make dowel spawn; use grain spawn to grow Oyster mushrooms;
- You will learn how to grow oyster mushrooms in a variety of vessels including sealed bags, glass, plastic, cardboard boxes, even an old bucket!
- Grow mushrooms with supplemented sawdust for species including: shiitake, pioppino, oysters and others;
- Show you how to inoculate logs with dowels and spawn.
- Show you how to grow mushrooms on straw, coffee grounds and a host of other compostables.
- Provide you with a strong ongoing support system to assist you with successful mushroom growing – to assure you are not left high and dry when you leave.
- Ongoing discounts and exclusive access to Forest Fungi promotional sales.
Students receive: As well as the workshop, we send you home with an exciting “workshop package” valued at over $300 full of the following goodies:
- 5 petri dishes inoculated in class with a cloned mushroom
- 2 pre-made petri dishes of Forest Fungi’s favorite 3 Oyster mushrooms: Blue, White and the delicious King oyster.
- 2 bags of oyster mushrooms inoculated in class
- 1 inoculated log with shiitake dowels and grain spawn-
- Take home dowels to for you to make around 3 more logs at home.
- Extensive course notes taking you step by step through the process so you don’t get lost at home
- Knowledge and a new network of enthusiasts so you can stay connected and keep learning after the course, and
- Free membership to the Forest Fungi Culture Club where you will receive exclusive access to harder to grow varieties, discounts on items and exclusive ongoing support from Will through the Culture Club facebook group.
Optional Extras: $190 – All Seasons Mushrooms Growers Pack
If you are dead set serious about growing mushrooms then you will probably want to purchase the All SEASONS MUSHROOM GROWERS PACK valued over $300. This is delivered personally to you at the workshop so you will also save postage costs and so you are ready to start growing straight after the workshop. This includes:
- 2 agar plates each of Forest Fungi’s seasonal gourmet mushroom cultures to ensure you can grow mushrooms all year round with the seasons: Reishi, Pioppino, Enoki, Nameko, King Stopharia, Goldern Oyster.
- 20 extra large oyster mushroom growing bags
- 30 filter patch bags
- 30 petri dishes to continue and maintain your agar culture library
- Bag of agar
- Detailed course notes
- Ongoing support
With purchase of the All Seasons Mushroom Growers Pack you will receive your own culture bank in total of nine delicious gourmet mushrooms to ensure you will be able to grow your own gourmet mushrooms at home all year round with the seasons – without needing specialised cultivation chambers. In addition to this, you will also receive equipment and supplies to ensure you will be able to continue your learning and growing delicious gourmet mushrooms as soon as you get home. The resources alone in this course package are over $300 worth of cultures, equipment and supplies. You will also receive experienced ongoing support from Will Borowski and exclusive membership to the Forest Fungi Culture Club to ensure you not only receive all the accurate ongoing support and guidance you need – but fab discounts on member only Forest Fungi sales!”
About the trainer
Will has gardened for over 30 years. He has a particular interest in ethnobotany and experience in mycology, permaculture, food forests and plant propagation. Will has been an Organic grower of gourmet mushrooms for over 10 years with an extensive culture library.
He was an environmental educator, horticulturalist, bush tucker guide and ranger at the Australian National Botanic Garden in Canberra for five years. Will is a strong believer and teacher of how the fungi kingdom is integrated into permaculture such as the patterns and ability to integrate into all of the zones.
He has taught gourmet mushroom cultivation at permaculture institutes and universities around Australia for over 10 years. He currently grows many mushrooms including: shiitake, pioppinos, king oyster mushrooms, morrels, reishi and various oyster mushrooms. He has taught many people from all around the world; from Papua New Guinea, Torres Strait Islands, New Zealand, Japan, South Africa, Uganda, India, China, America, Norway, Sweden, France, Chile, Italy…the list goes on…I suppose people from all around the world are interested in gourmet mushroom cultivation!
Will is regularly interviewed by Radio National and ABC radio south coast as Mycology expert and Australian authority on mushroom cultivation and safe wild mushroom hunting/picking. Recently Will was featured on River Cottage Australia on wild mushroom hunting and as an expert on gourmet mushroom cultivation, setting up the Tilba farm with gourmet mushrooms.
Will is also the owner and operator of Forest Fungi, teaching Aussies how to grow gourmet mushrooms and selling most of the supplies you need. He has an extensive mushroom culture library and comprehensive courses that communicates complex information for beginner mushroom growers…to get all enthusiasts on their way.
Benefits of undertaking a course with Will is the ongoing support and guaranteed to grow cultures. You will be able to access all the equipment and supplies you need to ensure you can continue to grow mushrooms once you get home.
10% Discount for PSI Members